Incorporating Rubble Into your Garden Design
Rubble, sometimes referred to as hardcore, is commonly used in garden design because it can be manipulated in many different ways. Whether you wish to make stepping stones, rockeries, sawtooth edgings, driveways, custom patios or fire pits – rubble is a great material that can help to bring your plans through to fruition. This month, Thompson Fuel & Skip Hire are here to offer you some inspirational garden design ideas, so read on to find out more!
What is hardcore?
The term hardcore describes an abundance of solid materials that are long-lasting and have low absorbency. Hardcore is ideal for making load-bearing floors such as driveways, patios and garage floors because it can withstand weight and weathering.
Types of hardcore/rubble
A new, innovative and cheap approach to garden design is to reuse old materials – rubble. You can use a variety of hardcore materials in your garden, which will help you seamlessly combine soft and hard landscaping elements to produce a fresh and revitalised garden, without splashing the cash.
- Gravel aggregate – suitable for creating driveways, gravel offers a front or back garden both colour and texture. It is hard wearing but may need a rake every now and then to ensure equal distribution.
- Reclaimed bricks – environmentally friendly, cheap and character building – there are multiple benefits of using reclaimed bricks and what’s more, you won’t be sacrificing on quality either. They can be used around the base of vegetation, in the shape of a circle and filled in with garden rubble, either in a block colour, mixture or in a pattern.
- Wall bricks – with this material you can build decorative brick paths, planters/candleholders, garden bench, edging for garden borders, waterfalls, birdbaths, walkway edging and fire pits.
- Concrete aggregates – this material can be moulded into countless shapes and designs including: concrete fire pits, garden benches, decorative water fountains, garden globes, statues, japense garden lanterns and hanging decorations.
- Red stone – help to keep weeds at bay and can be utilised around the bases of plants, this allows them to thrive without weeds taking up their all-important nutrients. Red stone is a great way to add a dash a colour to your garden, a lovely way to complement your greenery.
Using rubble in your garden:
- Stepping stones
- Sawtooth edgings
- Driveways and paving
- Base of vegetation decoration
- Custom patios
- Fire pits
Thompson Fuel & Skip Hire operate throughout Armthorpe, Bessacarr, Rossington and the surrounding areas. If you require local skip hire, waste management, recycling services, hardcore and rubble, topsoil or solid fuels – get in touch today – we’re more than happy to help. With a wealth of experience within the industry, you can always expect to receive a first-rate service.